Friday, May 15, 2015

The Bechdel Test

A female film screenwriter that comes to mind is Kay Cannon.  She wrote the screen play for Pitch Perfect and is also co-producing Pitch Perfect II.  I think Pitch Perfect is a great example of a work done by her that passes the Bechdel Test.  The whole movie revolves around female character who speak to each other about things related to an Acapella competition.  The characters build friendships with each other that do not involve the presence of men.  She also co produced Baby Mama which was a movie involving two females.  Their lives intermingle while one of the characters decides to become pregnant.  She wants to do it on her own and she solicits the help of the other female character who plays as a surrogate to her baby.  This two works are feminist in some way because they empower women.  In the case of Pitch Perfect, all the characters are strong females who work hard to arrive and win the competition.  In the case of Baby Mama, the single character who is looking to have a baby is a strong successful working woman.  She does not need the help of a man to reach her goals and dreams to have a baby.  Kay Cannon can relate to the hardships of working hard and not getting hired because she did no fit anywhere specifically.  She is quoted saying "
Oh, I don't know if I'm going to walk into any audition and have the upper hand on anybody in there. I felt like I was like sort of ethnically ambiguous and I didn't really fit into one specific kind of character type that is typically written for sitcoms specifically. And I like tested for Saturday Night Live and I didn't get that, and so I just felt like I needed to literally write my own ticket. And so I started writing and I wrote this pilot called Big Foam Finger with my friend Karen Graci, who is also a Second City lady"  She has won the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Comedic Series for her work on 30 Rock three times, and also won a 2008 Peabody Award for her work on the show. In 2010, Cannon was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series. During this time, Cannon also worked as a co-producer on the hit feature film, Baby Mama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment