Saturday, March 28, 2015

Project Proposal: A Board Game

Hello Everyone! For my final project, I am making a board game for children ages 10 to 18. It will be a multiplayer game (two or more people). I have mentioned in class that I was doing a card game, but I have decided a board game will allow me to incorporate more content and gameplay. My hope is that children will be introduced and learn terms like “homophobia” and bisexual” without them feeling like they are learning something.
During my research for feminist games, I was surprised to find that there is a large and active controversy in feminist gaming. After getting stuck in many sad YouTube comments and horrible Reddit threads, I have learned that there is a lot of anti-feminism going on. There is denial that there is anything wrong with the current content in gaming. A lot of the haters made personal attacks on game critics, like Anita Sarkeesian, who created and hosts a YouTube channel Feminist Frequency. After watching some of her videos , I have learned that there are lots of problems in the narrative structure of games because they always feature the female characters as objects of desire and weak, in need of rescuing, and never the protagonist. There are also many games that feature violence towards women and even games where the protagonists are encouraged to kill the women they love (because of plot twists where she’s a monster) and the women is asking for it because she can’t be stopped.

I play games often and with my younger sisters too and I took a course at Hunter called “Concepts in Gaming” taught by Professor Amelia Marzec. You can see the previous games I have made with my group members: Into the Aether and Sole Guardian. When I am finished with the project, I plan on distributing the game on our blog, Twitch ( I have my own channel but it is not as active during school days), Reddit (subreddits like r/boardgames), Twitter, and in the future my personal website (still working on building it).

Caption: Character images from my group game project. The artist is my sister, Amber Lee, and she will be the artist for me again for this project. 

I welcome all suggestions, ideas, feedback! Below is my project timeline in case you want to specify on a specific stage of production for feedback. If you want a more private conversation, you can email me at pebble.prod@gmail.com. Feel free to suggest any games you love or hate!
 Project Timeline
Week 1: 3/29 – 4/01: Incorporate Ideas into a Gameplay Structure
Week 2: 4/05 – 4/11: Create game on illustrator (no artwork yet)
Week 3: 4/12 – 4/18: Finalize Rules, Create Rule Cards
Week 4: 4/19 – 4/25: Test Gameplay, Fix Game
Week 5: 4/26 – 5/02: Artwork
Week 6: 5/03 – 5/09: Distribution (Twitter, Reddit, Blog, Twitch)
Week 7: 5/10 – 5/16: Presentation, Paper, Publish Game & Create Google Feedback Form, Print Game for Classmates & Extra

As our professor mentioned in class, this Ted Talk Video by

Jane McGonigal  “Gaming Can Make A Better World”, makes a great argument on why games can be used to change the world.

1 comment:

  1. wow! i am so impressed with your idea and tackling an entirely different genre that hasnt been explored yet..who are you using to test your games? are you trying to get the younger generation more open minded to understanding the games and bring back and old idea? i really like it so far

    ReplyDelete