Friday, February 6, 2015

The New Wonder Woman


      
     I have mixed feelings about how media portrays women today because I am a plus sized, Latina American wife, mother, full time college student and full time employee in my forties.  My diversity does not make me a “normal” media stereotype.  I can be drawn in by a variety of marketing efforts but am still insulted by the conventional methods of media and how they still dominate in this day and age.

     Since the rise of feminism in the 1960’s, there has been a constant battle and struggle against how media represents women.  Over the decades as we emerged out of the “Suzy Homemaker” or  “Stepford Wife” role into more affluent roles in business and society.  Sadly, we are still misrepresented.  Cultural achievements seem to have a massive affect on how media is relayed and consumed.  The Latina plus size part of me is insulted and discouraged from shopping for clothing when a magazine like Latina displays slender less curvy women to model apparel, when we are one of the most physically diverse cultures in the world. http://www.latina.com/fashion/shopping/workout-clothes-can-transition-gym-real-life Over the years, our bodies were created and influenced by the diversity of the blood that runs thru our veins from our ancestors. We are made up of African, Native American, indigenous and European DNA.  Our bodies are unique and distinctive. 


     When it comes to the forties and plus size me, my psychological emotions are easily persuaded by any beauty advertising of “natural” botanical products that promise to make me look younger and/or slimmer.  While facial image is easily attainable than body image for me, I flock to the stores to purchase the latest in skin care or weight loss/management.  Furthermore, since my personality has a little of the “flora & fauna” quintessence, any cream or lotion or pill that claims to enhance with botanics and herbs is not even any further thought.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/beauty-industry-women_n_5127078.html

     Through the years, broadcast television shows like Rosanne and ABC’s new sitcom Cristela, have helped redefine an array of women stereotypes and transform political and sociocultural influence but shows like these are limited.  Women like me can never be truly portrayed.  Since broadcast television does not have enough viewers to sustain more shows like these to reach these diverse stereotypes, cable has flourished to meet these demands.

     To conclude, my role in media is quite a diverse and unique one. In some ways I can be part of a stereotype but as a whole I am culturally, psychologically and emotionally diverse. Nonetheless in the end, media still has the ability to affect the positive or negative development of my self-esteem as well as how I perceive the rest of the world.







No comments:

Post a Comment