Saturday, February 7, 2015

There's "Me" in Media



As a kid I’ve had my fair share of media. Beginning with cartoons, to film and music videos being my go-tos for entertainment in leisure time, I was already desensitizing myself to a future of multi-dimensional media. Along with me accumulating hours weekly probably equivalent to a part-time job digesting images and audio, I played violin in orchestra, sang in choirs, and participated in school plays. Now looking back and analyzing where I am today, perhaps subconsciously I wanted to contribute back to the mediums where I was receiving my entertainment and joy. This snowballed into the person I am today, taking inspiration from popular American culture and applying it little by little into my life, whether that’s with the clothes I come across on screen or printed catalogs, or creatively with art. With my passion for performing arts, technology, and graphics in general, media is now apart of my life forever, and now maturing from the kid I was, I am super critical when it comes to visuals and delivery, and I now enjoy carving out details as well as responding to various forms of media that are presented to me probably just as much as I enjoy the world of media itself. Social media has only taken up more of the limited time I have here, so I would definitely feel safe saying a lot of who I am is measured against media.


Today I think way too much of the common person’s experiences involve shared mass media. Andy Warhol said “In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes,” I totally agree. We’ve gotten to a point where a lot of our daily lives is filmed, photographed, or documented for the world to see instantly everywhere. Our privacy has been destroyed for decades, but now it seems like there is no hope for mankind at all to actually live life without being broadcasted, literally. Professional atmospheres are now migrating online as well, and while that might bring benefits short-term….long-term we will have to be on our p’s and q’s 24/7.
Look at this article, Harvard is now recruiting students through social media 
-_-

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-06/harvard-hits-social-media-to-attract-record-37-000-applicants


Media has gotten so outrageous with me, I don’t think media no longer fits in my life. I some kind of way feel like I fit in media. For better or for worst, I’ll have a long relationship with media and the way society moves at its pace now, I think it will always be apart of my identity. The only goal of mines now is to have and make an identity of myself in media and prosper. We are all apart of media already, social networks are constantly compared to one another, and I think its safe to say we compare our images, words, and sound to those that are marketed and successful in different forms of media already. Media has benefited the world greatly while at the same time back handed the world. Media is now the model of society, the place where the unknown is introduced, a portal. A portal into the lives of everyone, while at the same time we are the portals of media.


No comments:

Post a Comment